Caring for your Mermaid Jewels and Clothing
Water Safe Jewels
Lunarsea designs are made for salty souls and can withstand use in water with due care.
This said please always rinse your jewels in fresh water & pat dry.
Prolonged exposure to water may dull all metals even the purest of golds.
So moderation and maintenance are key.
Jewels just like clothing need to be cleaned from time to time.
Sterling Silver can be polished with a jewellery cloth.
Gold Fill with a soft toothbrush and water (I have personally used a little eco dish detergent for stubborn areas for example body oils darkening the clasp.)
To ensure extra longevity the following is suggested:
- Although water friendly for extra longevity & low maintenance you can avoid water contact swimming pools/spa/saunas/ocean. (Says she that always wear her jewels in the saltwater/shower, but I do remove for chlorine)
- Sterling silver, Gold fill crystals & shells are delicate materials dropping/knocking/catching your jewels may cause breakage, this is not considered a fault.
- Prolonged direct sunlight may discolour or fade some crystals and shells
- Try to avoid direct contact with Moisturizers, Detergents, Perfume, Make-up etc (they will cause tarnish/oxidation, but should be removable with polishing cloth)
- Avoid High temperatures
- Avoid Mild or harsh chemicals
- Avoid strenuous activity, where items could be damaged.
- Sterling Silver, Gold Fill & Stainless steel will tarnish & oxidise with wear & exposure. Simply remove with reco
- mmended methods above.
- I also suggest storing your jewels in there boxes or with silica in airtight bags to avoid oxidisation when not in use.
Wear with care Jewels
My latest collection Into Bloom has seen the reintroduction of heavily beaded pieces on professional grade beading wire. My previous beaded designs were constructed on unbreakable memory wire, although tough it kept a hoop shape and did not drape like these new pieces will!
So unlike my other jewels I recommend taking extra care of these pieces.
The odd exposure to water wont end all, but over time it will wear down the resistance in the thread to bead kinking which will lead to eventual breakage.
We are currently creating a DIY repair kit for our beaded pieces. Ash will do a little blog about it with instructions and ideas etc.
So when the time comes for a new life you can re-bead or even better re-bead with some beach shells or personal treasures you already own for a personalised look.
- Garments can be delicate due to its handmade fabrication.
- To prolong the life of your garment. Please be extra gentle with wearing, wash and care.
- Garment are handmade & hand-dyed.
- Each piece is unique - please note that there can be slight irregularities due to the handmade & dyed nature of the garments.
- Colours may fade with time * hand-wash & rinse in cold water. dry flat - do not bleach, tumble dry or flat iron.